Read about philosophy, culturology, fear survival, humans, computing beasts.

Arrogance and Intellect: Aristotle's Philosophy of Anger

By Ion Saliu, Intellectual At-Large

About Arrogance, Intellect, Philosophy, Aristotle, Right, Anger.

Written on October 11, 2000.

I received a most interesting message from a writer. He discovered a meaningful relationship between arrogance and intellect. Another expression of FearSurvival. I asked him for permission to post the message on my bulletin board.

"My time is limited therefore I don't browse the web allot but I've managed to spend the last hour or so reading and downloading from your site (I'm a slow reader and I like to absorb technical stuff). I like your site for many reasons.
1. It's free
2. You go out of your way to explain relevant things in detail.
3. You speak your mind.

4. You have an interesting arrogance to intellect ratio. Somehow you toot your own horn in a respectful way that's deserving without leaving the reader with the feeling that you've overdone it. I haven't seen many achieve this balance.
5. Reserved for future visits to your site.

In the near future, I hope to get to some of the programs that you've created. I thank you again for your efforts. I'm in the midst of a philosophical type book and I'm just beginning my quest for theories and data. This site has offered me some excellent material to work with and compare to."

I post this message not only because I enjoy praise for my efforts. I accept worthy critique as well. I reject empty messages only. If I sound angry sometimes, I try to follow the lines presented by Aristotle. MSN keeps posting Aristotle's “philosophy of anger" in its section "Quote of the Day--Microsoft® Bookshelf® Quote of the Day":

"The man who gets angry at the right things and with the right people, and in the right way and at the right time and for the right length of time, is commended."

Please keep posting your meaningful messages. Let's toot the horn and even get angry in the peripatetic manner!

Ion Saliu's most interesting and intelligent signature.

On Arrogance, Intellect, Philosophy, Aristotle, Right, Anger.

Resources in Philosophy, Humans, Humanities, Ideas, Truth

See a comprehensive directory of the pages and materials on the subject of philosophy, humans, humanities, ideas, truth, Human_Computing_Beast.

Aristotle said the man who expresses righteous anger ought to be commended.

Comments:

Web site by Ion Saliu, founder of randomness philosophy.

Home | Search | New Writings | Software | Odds, Generator | Contents | Forums | Sitemap

False modesty is worse than arrogance for intellectuals.