1,2,3,4,5,6: Probable but not likely
Posted by Jim Schutte on October 18, 2000.
I am not a maths expert but I argued with my brother on a gut feeling that in a lotto 6 draw it is extremly unlikley that lotto combination 1,2,3,4,5,6 will be drawn. He maintains that it is a random series of numbers which are as likely to be drawn as any other set. I think that you agree with me when you say that such numbers are extremely rare and will be left out of selections along with strings of odd or even numbers etc.
Can you explain in laymans terms why this is so?
Can you do a page on your site on the basics of probability. You mention guassian curves and the law of big numbers. What are these? without being to technical of course.
Resources in Theory of Probability, Mathematics, Statistics, Software
See a comprehensive directory of the pages and materials on the subject of theory of probability, mathematics, statistics, combinatorics, plus software.
- Theory of Probability: Best introduction, formulae, algorithms, software.
- Lotto Combination '1,2,3,4,5,6': Probability and Reality;
~ Consider the standard deviation as well!
- Probability, Odds of New York Lottery Draw 911 on September 11.
- Software to generate combinations and find the probability of a lottery drawing to match its date.
- Probability That Player Index N Draws Ticket Number N.
- Enigma: Encryption decryption, cipher, code breakers.
- Probability of perfect shapes in nature: rivers, mountains, trees.
- Geometric or regular patterns on lotto play slips, cards, grids.
- Coin tossing hits by date: heads = 1st day, tails = 2nd day.
- Randomizing: An Art of Scientific Philosophy, Science of Philosophical Art, Philosophy of Artistic Science.
- 1,2,3,4,5,6: Probable but not likely.
- Software and formulae to calculate lotto odds using the hypergeometric distribution probability.
- Fundamental Formula of Gambling (FFG).
- Mathematics of Fundamental Formula of Gambling.
- Download Probability, Mathematics, Statistics, Combinatorics Software.
| Home | Search | New Writings | Odds, Generator | Contents | Forums | Sitemap |